Re: DID Formal Objection Status Update (Dec 2021)

On Tue, 21 Dec 2021 at 17:13, Ted Thibodeau Jr <tthibodeau@openlinksw.com>
wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2021, at 03:45 AM, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> Couple of issues with this
>
> 1. W3C is supposed to be vendor neutral, any endorsement (ie w3c stamp or
> branding) of proprietary protocols would represent a change, and perhaps
> require careful optics
>

> Nothing about DIDs includes "endorsement (ie w3c stamp or branding)",
> including the DID-related Registries.  Inclusion there only requires
> satisfaction of the listed requirements, which do not include "not
> being associated with any vendor".
>
> If you meant something else, maybe some more words would help.
>

> 2. Proprietary, for profit, protocols by their very nature are so, by
> being centralized, even when they have distributed databases.  That's will
> lead to misleading claims
>

> The rubric exists because users (at all levels, from individuals to
> small enterprise to large enterprise to government, etc.) have many
> different factors to consider, which sometimes may lead to valuing
> a particular feature provided by a "centralized" DID method which
> is not provided by more "decentralized" DID methods.  I put those
> two words in quotes because, again, they have different meanings
> to different users, hence the rubric for analysis and comparison
> along all the various axes.
>

> On top of that, there's massive regulatory overhang
>

> Uh, what?  Bare declarations like this are impossible to evaluate,
> nor discuss.  Again, therefore, more words, please.

Hi Ted, not sure this is the ideal thread to elaborate further

tl;dr the DID method registry is a controversial part of the spec.  It's
going to be a challenge to get to the bottom of why that is.