Re: DID Formal Objection Status Update (Dec 2021)

On Dec 21, 2021, at 03:45 AM, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:

> Couple of issues with this
>
> 1. W3C is supposed to be vendor neutral, any endorsement (ie w3c stamp or branding) of proprietary protocols would represent a change, and perhaps require careful optics

Nothing about DIDs includes "endorsement (ie w3c stamp or branding)",
including the DID-related Registries.  Inclusion there only requires
satisfaction of the listed requirements, which do not include "not
being associated with any vendor".

If you meant something else, maybe some more words would help.

> 2. Proprietary, for profit, protocols by their very nature are so, by being centralized, even when they have distributed databases.  That's will lead to misleading claims

The rubric exists because users (at all levels, from individuals to
small enterprise to large enterprise to government, etc.) have many
different factors to consider, which sometimes may lead to valuing
a particular feature provided by a "centralized" DID method which
is not provided by more "decentralized" DID methods.  I put those
two words in quotes because, again, they have different meanings
to different users, hence the rubric for analysis and comparison
along all the various axes.

> On top of that, there's massive regulatory overhang

Uh, what?  Bare declarations like this are impossible to evaluate,
nor discuss.  Again, therefore, more words, please.

Be seeing you,

Ted