From: Joosten, H.J.M. (Rieks) <rieks.joosten@tno.nl>
Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2021 12:03:11 AM
To: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>; public-credentials@w3.org <public-credentials@w3.org>
Subject: RE: Diagrams for VC HTTP API work [was Re: [AGENDA] VC HTTP API Work Item - August 17th 2021]

My guess is that the confusion comes from the inability of readers to determine whether or not their interpretation is in line with the intensions of the author(s). Enabling readers to do so is the first step (followed by discussions and ultimately reaching consensus).

Regarding the symbols in figures (rectangles, lines, arrows) it would help to either define their meaning, or stick to a meaning that is defined elsewhere, e.g. by UML, ArchiMate, or ... . Here 'sticking to' doesn't mean to simply use the various symbol, but to use them in the way that UML, ArchiMate or ... have actually specified them.

For words/terms this is the same. 'Simply' adding a criterion to a word/term that readers can use to determine whether or not something qualifies as a term enables them to understand what the authors intended. They do not necessarily have to agree, but in order to start a proper discussion, knowing that the participants can at least agree on (the meaning of) what is said seems a good basis to me.

The activity of creating such meanings and phrasing/drawing your 'messages' that are consistent therewith is an exercise that takes more time than an arbitrary hit-and-run activity. But this time is well spent as it prevents numerous future fruitless discussions, and it is work that needs to be done anyway if all this would ultimately need to end up in a standard.

Rieks