Re: Supporting VC-JWT and BBS+ Presentation Exchange in the VC-HTTP-API

Wow Kaliya, this is spectacular. +1 to you too.

On 8/2/21 5:43 PM, Kaliya IDwoman wrote:
> [...]
>>         who decide. Right now, that's us. Our startups. Our dreams.
>>         Our mutually invested time, effort, and money.
>>
>>         Second, we decide because the Subjects we care about are not
>>         capable of doing so. They (all 7 billion of them) simply
>>         can't join our weekly calls or actively participate in our
>>         working groups. We decide because somebody has to, or nothing
>>         gets done. The best we can do is be more open, more
>>         inclusive, and more transparent.
>>
>>         Third, if we give the existing power structures the opening
>>         you are asking for, they will simply reify their existing
>>         power roles in this new tech layer. That would be a failure
>>         of this effort, full stop. A firebreak between issuer and
>>         verifier is vital to preventing the continued intermediation
>>         of large institutions into every nook and cranny of our life.
>>         And even then, our work merely creates an opportunity for
>>         such a power shift. Whether or not others will deploy the
>>         systems that actually make the world better is up to the market.
>>
>>         Lastly, verifier's already have a way to check the status of
>>         a credential and issuers *can*, if they choose to, make that
>>         mechanism a phone home mechanism.
>>
>>         But that is an antipattern and there are many of us, deeply
>>         committed to shifting the socio-economic power dynamics in
>>         the digitized world who will fight tooth and nail against
>>         standardizing to support any use case that depends on phoning
>>         home.
>>
>>         If your use case requires phoning home, please, just use
>>         OAuth or OIDC or something similar. IMO, it's not part of
>>         this work, here.
>>
>>         -j
>>
>>         On Mon, Aug 2, 2021, at 1:52 PM, Adrian Gropper wrote:
>>>         It's not for us to limit the Subject's control over a
>>>         verifiable credential at the point of issue. If we try to do
>>>         that, an added burden is placed on the subject because "we"
>>>         think it's the right thing to do. As Zuboff says: "Who
>>>         decides? Who decides who decides"?
>>>
>>>         - Adrian
>>>
>>>         On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 3:24 PM Joe Andrieu <joe@legreq.com
>>>         <mailto:joe@legreq.com>> wrote:
>>>

>>>             I'm with Kaliya and Manu on this. A verifier should
>>>             never have to talk directly to an issuer, especially
>>>             about specific credentials. We have indirect mechanisms
>>>             for checking revocation status and that's it. By design.
>>>
>>>             Adrian, phone-home anti-patterns are some of the most
>>>             egregious in the book and they aren't needed for
>>>             delegation, as Manu already discussed.
>>>
>>>             -1 to standardizing means for verifiers to directly
>>>             reach issuers about specific credentials.
>>>
>>>             -j

>>>             --
>>>             Joe Andrieu, PMP joe@legreq.com <mailto:joe@legreq.com>
>>>             LEGENDARY REQUIREMENTS +1(805)705-8651 <tel:+1(805)705-8651>
>>>             Do what matters. http://legreq.com
>>>             <http://www.legendaryrequirements.com>
>>>

>>         --
>>         Joe Andrieu, PMP joe@legreq.com <mailto:joe@legreq.com>
>>         LEGENDARY REQUIREMENTS +1(805)705-8651 <tel:+1(805)705-8651>

*Moses Ma | Managing Partner*

moses.ma@futurelabconsulting.com | moses@futurelab.ventures |
moses@ngenven.com

v+1.415.568.1068 | skype mosesma | /linktr.ee/moses.tao/
<http://linktr.ee/moses.tao>

FutureLab provides strategy, ideation and technology for breakthrough
innovation and third generation blockchains.

Learn more at /www.futurelabconsulting.com/
<http://futurelabconsulting.com>. For calendar invites, please cc:
mosesma@gmail.com

Or whet your appetite by reading /Agile Innovation/
<http://www.amazon.com/Agile-Innovation-Revolutionary-Accelerate-Engagement/dp/B00SSRSZ9A>
<https://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Design-Sprint-Application-Disruptive/dp/1799143864>
| my blog at /psychologytoday.com/
<http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-tao-innovation>.

NOTICE TO RECIPIENT: THIS E-MAIL IS MEANT FOR ONLY THE INTENDED
RECIPIENT OF THE TRANSMISSION. IF YOU RECEIVED THIS E-MAIL IN ERROR, ANY
REVIEW, USE, DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION, OR COPYING OF THIS E-MAIL IS
STRICTLY PROHIBITED. PLEASE NOTIFY THE SENDER IMMEDIATELY OF THE ERROR
BY RETURN E-MAIL AND PLEASE DELETE THIS MESSAGE FROM YOUR SYSTEM. THIS
EMAIL SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED BINDING; HARD COPY DOCUMENTS ARE REQUIRED
TO CREATE LEGALLY BINDING COMMITMENTS. FOR CALENDAR INVITES, PLEASE CC:
MOSESMA@GMAIL.COM