Re: New Work Item Proposal: Traceability Vocabulary

On 10/1/20 9:09 AM, Orie Steele wrote:
> If supply chain traceability and verifiable credentials are of interest
> to you, we welcome additional contributors, this is going to be
> challenging work.

+1 to the vocabulary and the way you're going about auto-generating it.
It's a best practice that we need to build some tooling around (and have
needed to for over a decade). We're really going to need that tooling if
the VC stuff takes off -- vocabulary linting, assertion of best
practices, etc.

+1 to this work item in the W3C CCG as well.

A few thoughts on the vocabulary:

* Use of GS1 vocabulary for location is a good call.
  Citizenship vocabulary uses schema.org. We'll want to
  see how easily we can map one to the other.

* We should declare periodic table elements in a
  traceability vocabulary. DARPA did this work in 2003:

http://explore.dublincore.net/learning_resource/periodic-table-in-owl/

  There is also the Ontology of Chemical Elements, which is
  current and put together by biometical ontologists:

https://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/OCE/?p=summary

  At the very least, we really should involve chemists,
  physicists, etc. to determine how this work should be done.

  Raised as:

https://github.com/transmute-industries/traceability-vocab/issues/1

* I'd model the percent composition differently... as a
  separate node:

  "chemicalComposition": [{
    "id": "Tc"
    "percentage": "84.61"
  }, {
    "id": "Mc"
    "percentage": "46.95"
  },{
    "id": "Og"
    "percentage": "83.5"
  }]

  As a side note, it's confusing that those percentages don't
  add up to 100 in the example, but I'm assuming that's just
  the autogenerated stuff being wonky?

  Raised as:

https://github.com/transmute-industries/traceability-vocab/issues/2

Overall, looking like a great start!