From: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Sent: Monday, November 16, 2020 8:21 AM
To: W3C Credentials CG (Public List) <public-credentials@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Feedback on Zoom & Jitsi for CCG Meetings

On 11/13/20 5:26 PM, Heather Vescent wrote:
> I refuse to allow us to get distracted re-inventing the wheel.

Well, that changes the whole dynamic behind the effort, doesn't it. :)

The impression that I've had as we've tried to make the transition was that we had Chair support to upgrade W3C CCG infrastructure. Based on your response, it seems like this has changed (or maybe it was more of a
+0 instead of a +1, or there never really was support of all of the Chairs)..

In any case, fighting the Chairs on anything is a losing proposition. I just wish I (and those that have helped) had known this before putting in all of the time.

> I have to think you may have lost sight of the purpose of the
> community, which is to focus on VCs and DIDs and credentialing
> technology, not re-build infrastructure.

With due respect, and as one of the founders that launched this group in 2014[1], wrote its first charter[2], and organized its meetings for years[3], I don't think I have lost sight of the purpose of the community. It's current purpose is very close to its original purpose[4]. The statement above makes it seem as if these initiatives are zero-sum and they are not.

Our ability to collectively hold meetings that moves different work items forward in parallel is important, and as we grow, that has to scale. What we're doing right now is not scalable. It requires too much knowledge of W3C Process and Github and the scribing infrastructure, etc. It should all be automated in order for us to be able to empower more people to hold meetings w/o having to know all the things that past and current Chairs do about holding meetings. It's too burdensome.

It's also clear that this transition has been burdensome to the current Chairs, as evidenced by your response, and I'm sensitive to that and have been doing my best to try and push us through this transition as quickly as time and availability allows. One of the goals here was to, over time, reduce the burden on the Chairs.

That said, not having Chair support just sets the transition up for failure.. The focus shifts from getting through the transition to how the next Jitsi error is going to be used as proof positive that we should abandon the current attempts and just go with Zoom. That creates a stressful environment for those working on the solution, where the expectation is that if the system fails, it's scuttled along with the time investment to date.

At this point, I'm not sure what the Chairs want. Could the Chairs please provide a list of requirements for the new system? We're trying to build something that works for you, too. If what is being done right now isn't helpful, then just tell us to stop.

-- manu

[1]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-credentials/2014Aug/0001.html
[2]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-credentials/2014Aug/0025.html
[3]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-credentials/