Re: Feedback on Zoom & Jitsi for CCG Meetings

Jitsi is built on WebRTC, a free open-source project that’s being standardized through the W3C and IETF.  As such, I would think that the W3C would have an interest in the success of Jitsi.

tldr this paragraph: History says that it’s time for Jitsi to be forked.  When Oracle acquired Sun:  OpenOffice->LibreOffice and MySQL->MariaDB;  When Oddo and OwnCloud attempted to take the open source projects proprietary:  Oddo->FlectraHQ;  OwnCloud->NextCloud;  In 2018, 8x8 (a competitor of Jitsi) acquired Jitsi (probably to acquire Emil Ivov’s skills).  Development of Jitsi has languished since.  Jitsi->??
https://www.8x8.com/blog/episode-5-meet-jitsi
https://investors.8x8.com/press-releases/press-release-details/2018/8x8-Acquires-Jitsi-Video-Communications-Technology-From-Atlassian/default.aspx

But, it’s not the role of the CCG to pick up development of Jitsi.  The CCG SHOULD:
Use Jitsi as long as it meets our needs (it does)
Contribute to whatever community decides to support further development
Submit bugs, feature requests, etc to the Jisti repository:  https://github.com/jitsi
It just happens that Mattermost and Jitsi are currently teaming up for a Hackathon:  Hackfest 2020: Hacking from Home: Thriving in a Remote Environment, Nov 10-17, 2020
https://hackathon.cloud.mattermost.com/login

Get involved.

Use Jitsi, contribute however you can and help guide the direction of Jitsi.

My two cents,
Kevin  Poulsen
CTO of Reliable Identities, Inc.