Re: ditch voip/sip

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 11:45 AM Taylor Kendal <taylor@learningeconomy.io>
wrote:

> I would only add that the technical "sophistication" (which is
> unquestionable in this community) introduces, albeit unintentionally, a
> barrier for others who may offer valuable perspectives and contributions.
>
> I would advocate for the fewest technical barriers to entry. I think Zoom
> or Jitsi (along with a call-in option) likely opens the door as wide
> as possible given current infrastructure.

One of the biggest barriers is NOT the monthly cost of Zoom, etc. It is
replacing our sunk cost of tooling to make sure that the transcripts and
audio are made available. Manu originally, and more recently Kim spent many
hours trying to make it work better and not take hours each week of
laborious hand work.

Any proposal for changing what we do now has to consider the up-front costs
of testing and deploying an alternative solution, as well as the ongoing
cost of supporting that solution for the community.

If DIF, Hyperledger, Veres.One or other funded parties are up for funding
this up-front expense and long-term admin support, and I'm all up for a
major change. It can also happen if a new volunteer stands up for a
fairly large commitment. However, if it has to come out of the already
limited volunteer time of the co-chairs and leaders of this community, I
don't believe that it can happen.

— Christopher Allen