Re: Privacy-protecting contact tracer for COVID-19? [was Re: A Moment of Silence #Foremembrance Today at 19:06 CET, 2:06 pm EDT, 11:06 am PDT, and Saturday at 2:06am in Hong Kong & Taipei]

On Sat, 28 Mar 2020 at 04:38, David Booth <david@dbooth.org> wrote:

> On 3/27/20 11:18 PM, Moses Ma wrote:
> > How do y’all feel about Singapore’s TraceTogether?
> > See:
> >
> https://www.businessinsider.com/singapore-coronavirus-app-tracking-testing-no-shutdown-how-it-works-2020-3
> > Also:
> >
> https://www.tech.gov.sg/media/technews/tracetogether-behind-the-scenes-look-at-its-development-process
> >
> > How would you design a fully decentralized contact tracer?
>
> Or, more broadly: how would you design a privacy-protecting contact
> tracer?  This is urgently needed.
>
> Potential variations: 1. The app notifies you if it determines that you
> may have been exposed to COVID-19, without saying how it made that
> determination.  2. The app notifies healthcare officials that you may
> have been exposed, without telling them how it made that determination.

Off the top of my head:

1. Alice installs an app

The app has access to Alice's social graph of contacts

The app has access to Alice's which location Alice is at, at which time

The app has access to Alice's health status

If the health status changes (e.g. from negative to positive for Covid-19)
all the contacts in the social graph who have been within that location in
a 3 hour time period get a warning of differing threat level.

You would also have to model moving locations such a metro.

2. Optionally, health care agents / delegates can be part of the social
graph, and relay information to a pooled response system, or larger social
graph

This approach uses information hiding via trusted third parties.

A more complex version could use (I suspect) cryptographic blinding t
achieve a similar effect.  Something a bit like the dining cryptographers
problem [1]

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dining_cryptographers_problem