Re: Community TODO: IPR Process for VCWG maintenance work (work item #94)

----
Ivan Herman, W3C
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-0782-2704
On 23 Jun 2020, 19:53 +0200, Heather Vescent <heathervescent@gmail.com>, wrote:
> WHAT IS IT?
> This is basically the IPR (Intellectual Property Rights) process which covers Verified Credentials (VC) spec maintenance for VCWG (Verified Credentials Working Group). The VCWG finished the 1.0 spec and is now only responsible for maintenance. Any new changes to the VC spec should come through the CCG as a PR (pull-request), which will then be sent to the VCWG. Then the PR will be reviewed by the VCWG for IPR requirements and if passes be added as a maintenance change.
>
> Thank you to Manu and Dan B. for this draft.
>
> - Link to the document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zpmxkY0mefzZf47GXNM0qC83lBEhyaRSBmf4NJpaa6M/edit

I have provided some replies to the comments in that document.

One more practical note that is worth noting (for those who have not yet participated similar activities). If anyone makes a PR to the repository (ie, a proposed change on the Model specification) then an add-on to github will automatically do an IPR check.  If the submitter is an official member of the VC Working Group, then the system will recognize this and the submission will be accepted as part of the IPR disclosure mechanism in place for the Working Group participants. Otherwise, the PR will be temporarily blocked and the submitter will be asked to make some IPR declaration (the modalities will depend on whether he/she represents a W3C Member organization or not).

The check can be shortcut (essentially switched off) by the WG’s staff contact (ie, yours truly) if the PR is non-substantial, meaning that it does not affect any normative statement (which is something the document editors should tell me, it is not my decision).

To avoid complications, two good practice steps:

• The submitter should have his/her W3C account “bound” to the github account (go to [1], and look for ‘connected accounts’ on the left column). It is a good idea for everyone to just make that connection once and for all (and forget about it:-)
• The best is if substantial PR-s are submitted by genuine WG members...

[1] https://www.w3.org/users/myprofile