Re: Introducing CBOR-LD...

From: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 17:31:17 -0400
To: "public-credentials@w3.org" <public-credentials@w3.org>
On 7/24/20 12:55 PM, Orie Steele wrote:
> The repo compares, JSON, JSON-LD, CBOR, DAG_CBOR and ZLIB_URDNA2015_CBOR
> ( another approach at compressed linked data format in CBOR)... I am
> eager to add tests for CBOR-LD.

I'm eager to see the results as well, Orie... I'm wondering if you'd be
willing to expand your comparison table to the types on slide 6?

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1ksh-gUdjJJwDpdleasvs9aRXEmeRvqhkVWqeitx5ZAE/edit#slide=id.g866980c4a6_0_14

It might be useful to see how different types of data encodings that are
commonly used fare. For example, it's useful to understand that because
base64-encoded JWTs use 6-bit encoding that things that could have
normally been LZ compressed cannot be compressed because of the
bit-carrying nature of base64's 6-bit encoding.

I was hoping to put together a test suite that would compare all this
stuff but ran out of time... but it looks like you did it instead, which
is great! :)

> If you consider that changes to data on the wire would
> cause the software to explode... you can see why agreeing to a common
> context, is similar to agreeing to a data schema....
>
> And by relying on an existing context to build a compressed binary
> representation of a semantic object, we can leverage these "common
> dictionaries / vocabularies" not just for semantic disambiguation, but
> also for compression....

+1, exactly right!

> I'm not sure of the potential internal representation benefits for
> services like https://developers.google.com/knowledge-graph but
> obviously, a small IOT device that only speaks CBOR-LD would not need to
> crack out a JSON parser and all the attack surface associated with it,
> just to talk to the knowledge graph service.

Yep, exactly, last slide (slide 21) goes into a bit of that:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1ksh-gUdjJJwDpdleasvs9aRXEmeRvqhkVWqeitx5ZAE/edit#slide=id.g8dd93dd9c9_3_23

https://tinyurl.com/veres-one-launches