Re: Introducing CBOR-LD...

Sorry I am late to the CBOR-LD Party!

Very excited to have a semantic linked data format that is also usable in a
compact binary representation, and to have bi-directional
transformation out of the box... I have been playing with CBOR on the
weekends, and I have a repo here:
https://github.com/transmute-industries/decentralized-cbor/blob/master/src/__fixtures__/outputs/table.csv

The repo compares, JSON, JSON-LD, CBOR, DAG_CBOR and ZLIB_URDNA2015_CBOR (
another approach at compressed linked data format in CBOR)... I am eager to
add tests for CBOR-LD.

both DAG_CBOR and CBOR-LD have some benefits over CBOR
and ZLIB_URDNA2015_CBOR and JSON....

Both are linked data formats where the linked data aspect is preserved at
the binary level. ZLIB_URDNA2015_CBOR is just a compressed JSON-LD object
encoded as CBOR, you cannot leverage internal semantics... in much the same
way you cannot leverage internal semantics of "Pure JSON" and "Pure
CBOR".... However, ZLIB_URDNA2015_CBOR is MUCH smaller than DAG_CBOR /
"Pure CBOR" that was built from "Pure JSON", and CBOR-LD is MUCH smaller
than ZLIB_URDNA2015_CBOR...

Backing up for a second, one way to think about why CBOR-LD is awesome is
to consider how all software that processes data, has some opinion about
that data... sometimes these opinions are encoded in schema validation of
incoming data (using tools like JSON Schema or ProtoBuff)... If you
consider that changes to data on the wire would cause the software to
explode... you can see why agreeing to a common context, is similar to
agreeing to a data schema....

And by relying on an existing context to build a compressed binary
representation of a semantic object, we can leverage these "common
dictionaries / vocabularies" not just for semantic disambiguation, but also
for compression....

Obviously the IoT space has been waiting for something like this for a long
time...

- https://www.w3.org/WoT/
-
https://github.com/Azure/opendigitaltwins-dtdl/blob/master/DTDL/v2/dtdlv2.md

We are now able to convert all these ontologies and semantic vocabularies,
into compact, interoperable, binary representations for industries that
have already committed to the semantic web:
https://github.com/semantalytics/awesome-semantic-web#ontologies

I'm not sure of the potential internal representation benefits for services
like https://developers.google.com/knowledge-graph but obviously, a small
IOT device that only speaks CBOR-LD would not need to crack out a JSON
parser and all the attack surface associated with it, just to talk to the
knowledge graph service.

OS

--
*ORIE STEELE*