Re: Call for Focal DID Use Cases

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018, at 6:00 PM, Stephen Curran wrote:
> A question I have about the use cases that we are trying to collect.
> My understanding is that we are looking for "DID Use Cases".  How
> much should those Use Cases overlap into the Verifiable Credentials
> space?  The discussion on Organizations has been extremely useful
> and interesting, but seems much more focused on conveying verifiable
> attributes vs on DIDs. Simply being able to convey Verifiable
> Credentials between DIDs is a key use case that must be included,
> but should these use cases going deeply into how the VCs are
> subsequently used?
Good question. For better or worse, the VC Use Cases are a separate
document from the DID Use Cases. There is  overlap inevitably, but each
serves different purposes. Not to oversimplify, but the VC Use Cases
should explain why Verifiable Credentials are uniquely value while DID
Use Cases should do the same for DIDs.
Since these technologies support each other, there is an inevitable
bleedover.
I expect the good use cases for each will be something like this:

*VC Use Cases* -- Illustrate the value when any issuer can say ANYTHING
about ANYONE by describing someone in particular saying something
specific about  a certain someone, using cryptographic and procedural
techniques to allow verifiers to confidentally evaluate what has been
said. Complete the picture by showing how individuals can package
various VCs together (including self-issued VCs) for presentation to
verifiers and we tell the story of how people use VCs to assert relevant
facts to verifiers.
*DID Use Cases* -- Illustrate the value when, independent of a central
authority, anyone can create and manage publicly resolvable identifers
and assocaited credentials. Specific benefits include verifiability that
can outlive the issuer, the ability to perform complex key management
without reissuing credentials--thanks to the indirection between the DID
and DID document, and the ability to enhance privacy through myriad pair-
wise DIDs (They're cheap, take three).
To my mind, the clearest benefit is survivability in the face of
administrative or entropic failure. DIDs can be created and used even
when identifiers controlled by traditional authorities aren't
available/reliable/trustable. And depending on the method, the history
of transactions on chain can provide grounded provenance so observers
can tell how the DID's credentials (or the DID document) has evolved
over time.
For example, in the Digital Executor use case, when the probate
mechanism was invoked, it was an on-chain, indelible act. The new keys
now had authority to manage the services related to that DID, AND
verifiers can know by inspection that the reason the new keys have
control is because of an assertion of probate. So the transfer occurs
and the fact of that occurance is part of the permanent record.
*Overlapping use cases*, obviously, involve using DIDs for VCs in
someway. Whichever document one of those shows up in should
highlight how the use of the other tech enhances the core capability
for that document.
For example, you can use DIDs to identify issuers of claims. That's
easy. But then, how do you know that issuer is who you think they are?
You look up the did and there's a service endpoint that resolves to
Nike.com... but that's no gaurantee that Nike.com controls the DID.
Unlike traditional PKI, there's no CA to assert that a DID is actually
owned by Nike or IBM or whoever you think owns it. However, the DID
owner *can* provide evidence, in the form of VCs, which in turn endorse
the conclusion that the DID in question *is* owned by who you think.
That is, VCs where the DID is the subject can be used to evaluate the
trustworthiness of that DID referent as an issuer of particular claims.
I particularly like this when peer attestations can help you resolve
that question: every observer can endorse issuers to build a... wait for
it... a web of trusted identities.
These examples are the kind of things that would be great to capture in
our core use cases. What makes DIDs--as identifiers--more useful than
everything else out there by describing key value-creating transactions
that improve people's lives.

So... that said, my main comment on Bohdan's commentary is that DIDs are
"identifiers" not "identities", which provide one of the building blocks
of decentralized identities. DID Use Cases would do well to distinguish
from the power of decentalized identifiers rather than focus on
decentralized identity.
Unfortunately "identity" is a flash point for many. As we'll talk about
tomorrow, there may be an upcoming workshop to help tease out how
various W3C efforts work with identity and, for good reasons, it will be
a delicate dance to convince detractors that DIDs do something unique
and worthy of W3C support. The more we veer into benefits of
"*decentralized* *identity*" the easier it is for technically savvy
readers to point out that "DIDs don't do that." And they will be right.
DIDs on their own don't solve all the problems of identity. But they do
solve certiain specific problems EXCEEDINGLY well.
The more we can focus on how *decentralized* *identifiers* are
fundamentally different and valuable in the DID Use Case document, the
easier it will be for fellow technologist to evaluate DIDs and decide
for themselves whether or not that highly specific capability is
achievable and/or valuable.
The standardization path for both of these technologies are independent
roads. They must each stand on their own and provide credible, unique
value independent of the other. If we can describe that, we have a good
chance of getting these specs adopted as a standards.
If we invest too much attention in the "big picture" of decentralized
identity, we may well lose the trees because people don't believe in
the forest.
-j

p.s.
Although I do hope to shift the perspective in DID Use Cases away from
"identity", Bohdan is spot on about how these things come together to
provide a new framework for identity. It's just hard to sell that bigger
vision, and hopefully much easier to sell the simpler, more concrete
capabilities of DIDs and VCs separately.

--
Joe Andrieu, PMP
joe@legreq.comLEGENDARY REQUIREMENTS

Links: