Re: Claims and Multisource Journalistic Resources

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 8:21 AM, Steven Rowat <steven_rowat@sunshine.net>
wrote:

> I looked into this for science publishing some time ago, and found that
> the DOI system requires fees, and as such is set up primarily for large
> organizations, not individuals.
>
> Would you agree with this? And so it's appropriate for journalists working
> for larger organizations, but not for citizen journalists, individual
> bloggers, and so forth?
>
> Fees would vary from different providers, and for yearly volume of
> publishing.
> But, for example, a minimum yearly for the smallest-scale publisher at
> Crossref is $275, plus various other fees per document.

This problem with DOIs, and DOIs centralized nature, was actually one of
the inspirations for DIDs.  This is one of the reasons why it is called a
Decentralized IDENTIFIER (not identity). There is still a fee associated
with registering a DID in a blockchain (which varies tremendously on which
blockchain it is registered in and if DID registrations are bundled
together in a merkle tree), but they are totally available to citizen
journalists.

You can see some hints about this in a presentation I made about 3 years
ago at http://slides.com/christophera/creativeworkinfo#/

Of particular interest to me in reviewing this old document is that facts
are not instances, but trees, with the root being the oldest registration.

— Christopher Allen