W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-credentials@w3.org > December 2017

[MINUTES] W3C Credentials CG Call - 2017-12-05 12pm ET

From: <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2017 15:17:50 -0500
Message-Id: <1512505070856.0.2713@zoe>
To: Credentials CG <public-credentials@w3.org>
Thanks to Manu Sporny and Kim Hamilton Duffy for scribing this week! The minutes
for this week's Credentials CG telecon are now available:

https://w3c-ccg.github.io/meetings/2017-12-05/

Full text of the discussion follows for W3C archival purposes.
Audio from the meeting is available as well (link provided below).

----------------------------------------------------------------
Credentials CG Telecon Minutes for 2017-12-05

Agenda:
  https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-credentials/2017Dec/0002.html
Topics:
  1. Agenda Review
  2. Announcements
  3. Introductions
  4. W3C CCG Process Document
  5. W3C Intellectual Property Requirements & our CG Process
  6. CCG Registries
Action Items:
  1. Manu to document process for registries
  2. CG to adopt Manu's list of registries as work items
Organizer:
  Kim Hamilton Duffy and Christopher Allen
Scribe:
  Manu Sporny and Kim Hamilton Duffy
Present:
  Manu Sporny, Joe Andrieu, Christopher Allen, Thomas Hay, Akila 
  Natarajan, Mike Xu, Kim Hamilton Duffy, Frederico Sportini, Moses 
  Ma, Dave Longley, Lionel Wolberger, Ryan Grant, Zachary Larson, 
  David I. Lehn, Chris Webber, Mark Miller, Susan Bradford, Adrian 
  Gropper, Christian Lundkvist, Matt Stone, David Chadwick
Audio:
  https://w3c-ccg.github.io/meetings/2017-12-05/audio.ogg

Manu Sporny is scribing.

Topic: Agenda Review

Joe Andrieu:  Announcements, Intros, Action Items, Work Items, 
  DID Discussion
Christopher Allen:  A couple of items have come up from the VCWG 
  status registry - to be handled as work item for CCG... just 
  wanted to have Manu do a 3 minute thing to intro the topic to 
  everyone... 
Joe Andrieu:  Why don't we do that just before the DID 
  discussion?
Christopher Allen:  Sounds good.

Topic: Announcements

Joe Andrieu:  With work that Manu has done and DID reconcilation 
  - we should have that on the docket soon... next week.
Christopher Allen:  Yes, there will be some discussion on what 
  remains, what needs to be settled... I think that's basically the 
  idea... We don't know where/if they conflict.
Joe Andrieu:  We'll pull the work from there and work on it 
  here...
Joe Andrieu:  Next week - we'll share 2018 planning... coming 
  from Chairs... what we're thinking of doing and feedbakc/input 
  from community. We'll not have meetings on 26th Dec 2017 or Jan 
  2nd 2018. First meeting of next year will be Jan 9th.
Christopher Allen: +1
Christopher Allen: Do we have any new folk?

Topic: Introductions

Thomas Hay:  My name is Thomas Hay, I work at Consensys, 
  interested in identity particularly with applications related to 
  education and education claims... come from background of 
  education in K-12 schools - now working on ways to improve how we 
  attest education credentials.
Joe Andrieu:  Welcome to the Credentials CG :)
Manu Sporny:  I am calling from my cell phone and skype out, as 
  usual; no answer today. Any advice? [scribe assist by Lionel 
  Wolberger]
Akila Natarajan:  Hi my name is Akila Natarajan, I work with 
  Thomas Hay - come from background - work for Oracle building 
  oracle products - founded product in EdX space, then moved on to 
  Consensys - worked in identity space and education, that's where 
  my interest is... work with Tom at Consensys - building product 
  issues claims in education space and use identity/claims to do 
  more education/attestations... first meeting.
Mike Xu:  I work with Tom and Akila on the Consensys Academy team 
  - full stack developer - I had worked at IBM Watson Health as 
  full stack developer... now work at Consensys Academy.
Kim Hamilton Duffy is scribing.
Frederico Sportini: +1 DID hackaton
Manu Sporny: DID Spec updates -- 
  https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-credentials/2017Dec/0004.html
Manu Sporny:  Sent email to list about updates. working on 
  post-RWOT updates to did spec
Frederico Sportini: +1 Hackaton on 1/15
  ...3 prs -- separating key descriptions, separating DID method 
  registry, stab at identity language
  ...expect will be adding more changes. Manu needs to work with 
  Chris Webber and Mark Miller about obcap related changes
  ...also lots of activity around DID hardening spec
  ...should have many updates landed by xmas
Joe Andrieu: Thanks, Kim. Let's add that explicitly to the agenda 
  next time!
  ...that's a good time to get feedback from group
  ...give feedback via github issues and pull requests. Can 
  comment line-by-line in PRs
  ...Manu requesting 7-day comment period on PRs
Christopher Allen: Just get it into action items
Joe Andrieu:  Post objections in IRC
Joe Andrieu:  Changes look good and straightforward
  ...next: veres one spec
  ...reconciliation and virtual hackathon week of 1/5. includes 
  BTCR, other methods, etc
  ...let us know if you want to be involved
Christopher Allen:  Are we missing action items?
Manu Sporny:  General action item around registries. This group 
  has to accept >=3 or 4 new work items for things to be smooth 
  with DID spec progress.
  ....VC status checking, key descriptions, and something else I 
  missed
Joe Andrieu:  How to proceed?
Manu Sporny:  PRs constitute a proposal. OBject to the PR if you 
  disagree with informal registries
Moses Ma: I just called in, lines are available again. associate 
  415
Joe Andrieu:  Feedback by next week
Joe Andrieu: https://github.com/w3c-ccg/vc-lifecycle 
  https://w3c-ccg.github.io/vc-lifecycle/
Joe Andrieu:  Lifecycle has been posted as repo
  ...there is good content we can fold into various specs
  ...engagement model work item needs to be folded in, hopefully 
  early Jan
Dave Longley: 
  https://github.com/w3c-ccg/credential-handler-api/issues
Dave Longley: 
  https://github.com/w3c-ccg/credential-handler-api/issues/5
Dave Longley:  VC polyfill and browser api. check out issues, 
  give feedback. Kim should give feedback re BTCR impact
Lionel Wolberger:  Data Min and Selective Disclosure: not much 
  progress
  ...Sovrin restarting contribution
  ...will try to have progress for next week
Christopher Allen: 
  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LeC0YNVMcAy_2MWrlKLw8i2WSxEaUEvUMxz8UdYC87U/edit?usp=sharing
Christopher Allen:  Documenting work items

Topic: W3C CCG Process Document

Christopher Allen:  Community process is new; doesn't really 
  match other W3C styles. There has been call for more formality 
  around CG process
  ...RWoT has lower standard, doesn't require consent from all 
  members.
  ...Refer to document
Christopher Allen:  Tentative process is documented in "work 
  process" bulletpoint
  ...2 special things: 1. We tend to do specs, but some may be 
  more summary/survey docs (e.g. self sov id, data min, ...)
  ...no formal difference in process, but we may want to consider
  ...2. Rebooting is open source, but for these specs everyone 
  needs to be members of this group
  ...This is important because we don't have IPR signed from some 
  parties
  ...some specs may not require IPR, but ones that detail a 
  technical process could be problematic
Christopher Allen:  Joe wanted to talk about IPR aspects. Also 
  Manu did
Moses Ma:  New project he wants input on

Topic: W3C Intellectual Property Requirements & our CG Process

Christopher Allen: 
  https://www.w3.org/community/credentials/participants
Manu Sporny:  We cannot accept contributions from people who 
  haven't signed IPR
Manu Sporny:  Some joining DID discussion have not signed IP 
  release
Manu Sporny:  We cannot accept contributions from people who 
  haven't signed IPR
  ...if your name / company name doesn't show up in this list, 
  you need to sign 
  https://www.w3.org/community/credentials/participants
  ...other IPRs to follow as we move to WG, etc
  ...especially as it moves to international standard, this IP 
  history must be clean
Christopher Allen:  Any questions?

Topic: CCG Registries

Christopher Allen:  CCGs have persistence that WGs do not. Also 
  lower level of requirements
  ...makes sense that long term maintenance can be CG
Manu Sporny:  Examples of registries...
Manu Sporny: https://w3c-ccg.github.io/vc-status-registry/
  ...Verifiable Claims status registry: 
  https://w3c-ccg.github.io/vc-status-registry/
Christopher Allen: Non-normative
  ...registries are informal -- not official
Christopher Allen: ?
  ...no w3c signoff
  ...registries are community controlled. low barrier to entry
  ...in the future, we may say entries must pass a test suite. 
  but since the test suites don't exist now, no such requirements
  ...3 registry examples are: DID method specs, VC status, and 
  Key registry
Christopher Allen:  Some have lower standard than "no principled 
  objections"; some may have higher standard
Manu Sporny: DID Method Registry - 
  https://github.com/w3c-ccg/did-spec/blob/msporny-methods/did-methods.html
Manu Sporny: LD Key Registry - 
  https://github.com/w3c-ccg/did-spec/blob/msporny-ldkeys/ld-keys.html
Christopher Allen:  Need a process for registry

ACTION: Manu to document process for registries


ACTION: CG to adopt Manu's list of registries as work items

Christopher Allen:  We need a proposal for generic registries, 
  process for acceptance, longevity.
  ...then we would accept Manu's example as work items
Manu Sporny:  Concerned that may be too heavyweight. Let's just 
  say they are community maintained. Update process is PRs
Christopher Allen:  Put it in writing
Ryan Grant:  What is a credential status list?
Manu Sporny:  We need to understand how to do repudiation (revoke 
  or spend)
Dave Longley: S/spend/suspend/
Ryan Grant: I thought this was handled via requiring fresh 
  nonces?
  ...need mechanism for issuer to invalidate statement
Manu Sporny:  2 Mechanisms: 1. cred status list, 2. published on 
  blockchain
  ...registry says all different ways to talk about credential 
  status
Frederico Sportini: 1. Is centralised?
Manu Sporny:  Not just vocab. Also allows me to say "these are 
  the creds I have revoked or suspended" as an issuer
Ryan Grant: Is it trying to define both schema and particular 
  revocations?
Christopher Allen:  Edu institution may have different 
  requirements
Christopher Allen:  In VCWG can't specify business processes; 
  easier to happen in CG
Ryan Grant: I order to use verifiable claims, do i need to check 
  all these registries?
Christopher Allen:  Allowing communities to describe how they are 
  doing it. what methods, etc
  ...we're not approving, just describing
Ryan Grant: Okay, so easy way to get started
  ...doesn't require level of review that WG requires
Zachary Larson:  Curious to hear status of object cap
Christopher Allen:  This is a reasonable request for next week
Christopher Allen: Add to agenda, status of ocap and next steps
  ...can make discussion requests on discussion list
Christopher Allen: https://w3c-ccg.github.io/
  ...https://w3c-ccg.github.io/ has info about how to join, 
  contact, etc
  ....next week is mostly DID
Received on Tuesday, 5 December 2017 20:18:19 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 19:18:17 UTC