Re: Special Issue on VCs

Hi Steven

yes you are correct. This is becoming the norm for academic publishing.
The old model was that each journal had a subscription fee, and only
libraries or individuals who subscribed to the journal could read its
contents. But it was free to submit an article for publication. With the
advent of digital libraries this expanded to allowing anyone to pay
around $25 per article to download it.

With the new open access model, the researchers pay for the publication,
usually out of their research grant, and then everyone can read the
article free of charge. Organisations that have membership agreements
with publishers usually get a waiver or discount on the publication fee.
In the case of SCN, the website says the discount can be up to 100%.

$2000 may sound a lot but is slightly under the average. A good article
on open access publication fees can be found by the University of
Cambridge here

http://osc.cam.ac.uk/open-access/open-access-policies/paying-open-access/how-much-do-publishers-charge-open-access

Note that only one fee is payable regardless of the number of authors,
and it usually the institution of the lead author that pays.

regards

David