Re: Special Issue on VCs

On 2017-08-03 12:16 PM, David Chadwick wrote:
...> With the new open access model, the researchers pay for the
publication,
> usually out of their research grant,

Unless they don't have a research grant. Then they pay $2,000.

This effectively locks out all the people who aren't in academic
institutions, or large corporations, from contributing their research.
This must be 99+% of the people in the world.

This will include the exclusion of people who have a health issue, or
personal issue, or religious issue, or political issue, or financial
issue, that prevents them from being in an institutional setting. Yet
some of these people will have things they want to contribute. And
perhaps it will be something that's important for the larger society
to hear about.

With the rise of the Internet, these people now have the data they
need to research with, in many cases. The "institutional support"
model appears to assume they don't exist, or at least can be ignored.

I don't mean to say that you don't know this David; you probably do.
And perhaps from your position from inside a university system, it
still seems like the best place to publish about Verifiable Claims and
Credentials work.

But to me this makes your Call For Papers glaringly ironic. I became
involved in this group over a decade ago largely because of my
experience being published in peer-reviewed journals as an outsider.
What happened to me then didn't seem fair, or in the long term
sustainable for society. Something else had to evolve. And perhaps
Verifiable Claims is part of the solution.

But at least fifteen years ago I could publish for nothing. My
complaint then was that I'd done ten years of work and not gotten paid
for it -- but at least it went through peer review and got out into
the world. But now, in what appears to be the ill-named "open access"
they'd want me to pay $2,000 as well? No thanks.

And I wouldn't even have done the research, probably, if there had
been this author-pay publishing model then. Or at least I wouldn't
have put it through peer review. And peer review did improve it.

Anyway: rant over. Except, about the $2,000 and your Call For Papers:

I think it would be more useful if ten people on this list got
together and invested $2,000 each, to pay a programmer $20,000, to do
VC implementation of something that replaces the journal that you
you're asking for the papers to be published in. ;-)

And I'd seriously be happy to be one of the investors, if and when the
time for that arrives.  :-)

I think there's a need for this. I think that the only humans the
publishing system really needs are the authors, the peer reviewers,
and the readers. All the rest can be done by software, if the software
can handle it. And perhaps the combination of blockchain and
Verifiable Claims can.

For anyone interested, here's what I believe is a good article about
how the science publishing industry evolved:

"Is the staggeringly profitable business of scientific publishing bad
for science?"

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/jun/27/profitable-business-scientific-publishing-bad-for-science

Warning: long read.

Steven