Re: Agenda for W3C TPAC

On 10/01/2014 01:23 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>> From experience at TPAC 2 years ago there was a social web and
>> identity
> session.
>
> What we found was that pretty much everyone has a (normally
> differing) opinion on identity.  If you think about it, it makes
> sense, we all have one and it's very personal and subjective.

Yep, I remember the session and read all the notes from it. That
session, the Web Payments Workshop, and all of the discussion we've been
having over the last several years in the Web Payments CG is what
instructed the approach we're taking now:

We are focusing on something very specific and actionable: Store,
transmit, and verify digitally signed credentials on the Web in
privacy-protecting manner. That's it. Even picking something that narrow
will lead to a widening of scope, but hopefully something that the group
can deal w/ versus what typically happens (so much scope creep that the
problem becomes intractable).

> By the time we went round the room and introduced everyone, with a
> short comment, the time was up.  It wasnt really constructive.

Yep, I think we should consider skipping introductions. We did the same
sort of thing in the Web Payments meeting at last years TPAC and close
to 30% of the time was taken up in introductions.

> Identity seems to be the one issue that divides opinion.  Case in
> point, W3C has two groups with almost exactly same goals (WebID +
> Identity Credentials)

I think the two groups have overlapping goals, and the people in the two
groups coordinate where it makes sense. For example, we're on very
friendly terms with Stephane Corlosquet and Andrei Sambra, the two
Editors of the WebID base spec.

Here's the goal of the Credentials CG:

Store, transmit, and verify digitally signed credentials on the Web in a
privacy-protecting manner.

I'd argue that the goals of the WebID group are broader than that, which
is why it has been difficult for that group to get traction during the
time that it has been operating.

> The more productive things I found at TPAC was actual working demos.

Agreed. We took this suggestion of yours and placed it into the draft
agenda proposal to the Web Payments IG chairs:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1R_hLcUBXJxm3DhQC4JmyzS_hKlnhQDUFBvfZR5UaFf0/edit?usp=sharing