Re: Shall we shelve Level Zero?

On 5/4/12 12:23 PM, "Robin Berjon" <robin@berjon.com> wrote:

>On May 3, 2012, at 10:50 , <jeanfrancois.moy@orange.com>
><jeanfrancois.moy@orange.com> wrote:
>> It's simply two different ways of thinking. I like to think that it is
>> good practice to have a clear overview of the current state of the
>> mobile web platform. Once this has been achieved and agreed, we can
>> then proceed by iteration to build the next levels.
>
>The question is: who would that be useful to? It represents substantial
>work, and it has surfaced that there is substantial dissent on the
>topic's phrasing. It's not clear to me that it would be useful to either
>developers or implementers. If it's only useful inside the confines of
>this group, then I'm not convinced it's an undertaking worth the time.
>
>In working on One, we can see how often we disagree about what's assumed
>to be in Zero. If there are too many disagreements we can revisit (hence
>"shelving" and not "dropping"), but if there aren't we'll have gained
>time.

We bumped into two important issues with level 0:

1) As Robin mentioned, there's serious dissent around the topic's
phrasing. That doesn't imply we wouldn't be able to find consensus around
some (most?) of the features proposed in level 0. It does imply however
that we wouldn't be able to do so in the context of a specification
describing the current state of the Mobile Web Platform.

2) There are significant issues in slicing up specs to reflect current
implementations. This is easily avoided when working on an aspirational
document.

As next steps I suggest the following:

a) Robin and I will draft a new version of level 1 which will include some
of the (non-controversial) stuff currently contained in level 0.
b) Once that draft is ready, the group can go over it considering it is
strictly an aspirational document.

--tobie