Re: coremob-ISSUE-8: No spec to point to for Full-screen mode. [COREMOB-1]

On 6/20/12 8:06 AM, "Scott Wilson" <scott.bradley.wilson@gmail.com> wrote:

> Isn't that a good fit for viewmode:floating from VMMF?
>
> "Describes a Web application providing a more immersive interface,
>running in a windowed manner but without chrome, and with the viewport's
>initial background being transparent such that other system items (other
>applications, the display's background...) can be seen through parts of
>the viewport that are not being painted to."
>
> For smaller devices, or those with no concept of windowing, a viewmode
>preference of "floating" could fallback to "fullscreen".

Advising mobile web developers their apps are going to run in "floating"
mode isn't going to fare very well. Clownesque is the word that comes
mind. :)

>There have been a few times I'd have liked this, but I think the method
>of letting the user and UA control the viewmode and have the content
>adapt seems more appropriate. If apps did have the ability to request a
>viewmode change is fairly likely to be suboptimal, as the app developer
>likely has a preconceived notion of the type of device and capabilities
>its running on, which may conflict with the preferences of the user.

This is another argument for separating chromelessness (heh!) from
view-mode. Clearly, the app's ability to run without chrome is something
only the app author knows about.

It's also obvious that view-mode is not something the app should be able
to choose. It's something the environment (and the user) imposes on the
app and lets it know about (through media queries).

The implications for view-mode is that:

    @media (view-mode: fullscreen) { /* ... */ }

becomes technically the same thing as:

    @media (view-mode: maximized) and chromeless { /* ... */ }