Re: coremob-ISSUE-8: No spec to point to for Full-screen mode. [COREMOB-1]

On Jun 20, 2012, at 10:49 , Tobie Langel wrote:
>> There have been a few times I'd have liked this, but I think the method
>> of letting the user and UA control the viewmode and have the content
>> adapt seems more appropriate. If apps did have the ability to request a
>> viewmode change is fairly likely to be suboptimal, as the app developer
>> likely has a preconceived notion of the type of device and capabilities
>> its running on, which may conflict with the preferences of the user.
>
> This is another argument for separating chromelessness (heh!) from
> view-mode. Clearly, the app's ability to run without chrome is something
> only the app author knows about.

The app shouldn't be able to trigger the chromelessness, but it should be able to declare that it's its preferred mode of operation (or at least one that is supported) through its manifest.

> It's also obvious that view-mode is not something the app should be able
> to choose. It's something the environment (and the user) imposes on the
> app and lets it know about (through media queries).
>
> The implications for view-mode is that:
>
>    @media (view-mode: fullscreen) { /* ... */ }
>
> becomes technically the same thing as:
>
>    @media (view-mode: maximized) and chromeless { /* ... */ }

If the media feature is simply constrained to testing for chromelessness, it ought to be very easy to specify. I'm not sure which group would take it — maybe CSS?