Re: coremob-ISSUE-8: No spec to point to for Full-screen mode. [COREMOB-1]

On 19 Jun 2012, at 17:34, Tobie Langel wrote:

> On 6/19/12 6:31 PM, "Scott Wilson" <scott.bradley.wilson@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> It depends on how widgets are implemented :) There's nothing that says
>>> that widgets have to run chromeless (though they usually do).

>>> Widgets are easy to implement. I wonder how many have been security
>>> audited though ‹ it's easy to get things rather wrong.

>>> Actually, we have to think a little bit beyond this being equal to
>>> view-mode=fullscreen. On (most) mobile devices, since every application
>>> is always full screen, when you remove the chrome you get a full screen
>>> application. But on anything that has an windowing system, there's a
>>> difference. I think that what's wanted here is view-mode=chromeless,
>>> which in a windowed environment would give you an app without chrome but
>>> not necessarily occupying the entire screen.

Isn't that a good fit for viewmode:floating from VMMF?

"Describes a Web application providing a more immersive interface, running in a windowed manner but without chrome, and with the viewport's initial background being transparent such that other system items (other applications, the display's background...) can be seen through parts of the viewport that are not being painted to."

For smaller devices, or those with no concept of windowing, a viewmode preference of "floating" could fallback to "fullscreen".

>>> And, of course, a way of
>>> requesting that a given view-mode be activated.

There have been a few times I'd have liked this, but I think the method of letting the user and UA control the viewmode and have the content adapt seems more appropriate. If apps did have the ability to request a viewmode change is fairly likely to be suboptimal, as the app developer likely has a preconceived notion of the type of device and capabilities its running on, which may conflict with the preferences of the user.