Re: H69 should not be sufficient for SC 2.4.1

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 7:21 AM, Sailesh Panchang <spanchang02@yahoo.com>wrote:

> WCAG-WG,
>
> Technique G1 documents needs of keyboard only users with respect to
> skipping repetitive block of content.
> It also recommends a skip link should become visible on tab focus.
> Given this, how is H69 a sufficient technique by itself? It does not help
> keyboard only users in most browsers.
> Some websites refuse to provide skip links if they have implemented
> headings or even aria-landmarks.
> I suggest  H69 should not be listed as a sufficient technique for SC 2.4.1
> but as an advisory technique.
> Sailesh Panchang
>

> ================================
This topic was also raised in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2012May/0016.html.
The Working Group response, at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2012Sep/0009.html,
is:

The User Agent Notes for H69 discuss the native support for navigating by
headings that is provided in Opera, and notes that for other browsers,
plugins may be needed.   With all of our success criteria the assumption is
that people needing special user agents (including AT or special plug-ins)
will get and be using that type user agent (eg screen reader, or plug-in
that allows keyboard navigation of properly marked up content, etc) .

We have added a note to this effect to H69 that reads:

NOTE:  All of our techniques assume that people needing special user agents