Re: Conflict between alternative options 1-4 and F69

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 1:20 AM, <noreply@w3.org> wrote:

> Name: Detlev Fischer
> Email: fischer@dias.de
> Affiliation: DIAS GmbH
> Document: QR
> Item Number: Success Criterion 1.4.4
> Part of Item:
> Comment Type: technical
> Summary of Issue: Conflict between alternative options 1-4 and F69
> The "How to meet" document offers four alternative options to meet SC 1.4.4
> (Resize Text), one of them simply "G142: Using a technology that has
> commonly-available user agents that support zoom". F69, on the other hand,
> describes the failure of clipping , trucating or obsurig text when applying
> text-only magnification to 200%. It seems that the How to meet" document
> should link support for page zoom to a (perhaps more modest) support for
> tex-onlz zoom. Just affordign page zoom (this works nearly always wiothout
> any extra effort) does not prevent the failure 69 when scaling text only.
>
> Proposed Change:
> Change logic in the "How to meet" document: G142 alone is not good enough.
> In addition, text-only resizing must also work to ensure a pass of F69.
>
> ================================
Thank you for your comment. The title of F69 does not specifically mention
text-only magnification. It can refer to zoom magnification as well. It
parallels the language in the title of the success criterion itself, which
mentions text resizing. Just as the title of the success criterion does not
exclude zoom magnification as a means to resize text, so too the title of
the failure does not exclude zoom magnification in that respect. The
failure, therefore, applies equally to situations where text resize or zoom
might be applied.

However, as indicated in your comment, the examples provided do in fact
resize correctly with zoom, and we must therefore amend the failure document
to indicate that those failure examples apply only in an environment where
zoom functionality is not available. Furthermore, we are adding an
additional example of failure when using zoom.

Regarding requiring support for text-resize in this criterion, the group has
discussed this issue at length and has concluded that zoom functionality is
sufficient to meet this success criterion.