Re: Reflow and Order panel can not guarantee the reading order

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 8:09 AM, <noreply@w3.org> wrote:

> Name: Sébastien Delorme
> Email: sdelorme@atalan.fr
> Affiliation: Atalan
> Document: TD
> Item Number: PDF3
> Part of Item: Examples
> Comment Type: technical
> Summary of Issue: Reflow and Order panel can not guarantee the reading
> order
> Example 4: Checking the reading order using Reflow in Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro
> Example 5: Checking the reading order using the Order panel in Adobe
> Acrobat 9 Pro
>
> Theses two examples explain how checking the reading order with the reflow
> mode and the order panel.
> But I encountered many problems with these features and the reader order.
>
> The Order navigation panel in Acrobat Pro is designed for checking and
> correcting the reading order of tagged content on a page. However, in
> Acrobat Pro 10 (and previous versions), this tool is very difficult to use
> as it manages both the reading order of content and the order objects
> visually overlay each other on the page.
>
> The numbering used on the Order navigation panel does not correspond to the
> reading order but to the order the different content layers on the page
> overlay each other. So, when you want to check the reading order of content
> by a screen reader, the displayed numbering may be inaccurate.
>
> For example :
> ** Document 1 http://www.pdf-accessible.com/IMG/pdf/test-ordre-14.pdf
> In this document :
> - reflow order is "ordre matus balatum belli"
> - Order panel shows the order is "ordre matus balatum belli"
> - and the reading order is well "ordre matus balatum belli"
>
> ** Document 2 http://www.pdf-accessible.com/IMG/pdf/test-ordre-15.pdf
> In this document :
> - reflow order is "ordre matus balatum belli"
> - Order panel shows the order is "ordre matus balatum belli"
> - BUT the reading order is "balatum belli ordre matus"
>
> So, it is disturbing to test the reading order with Order panel or reflow
> mode.
> Because the reading order is only testable with certainty on the Tags
> panel.
>
> I tried to explain this in a better way on AcceDe PDF manual (page 46) :
> http://www.pdf-accessible.com/IMG/pdf/making-PDF-accessible-Acrobat.pdf
>
> Proposed Change:
> It is difficult to delete theses two examples becausein many cases the
> reading order, reflow mode and the Order panel will be the same.
>
> But for example with inDesign documents it's could totally different.
>
> I propose a new example
> "Checking the reading order using the Tags panel in Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro"
>
> ================================
Thanks for your comments. We have improved the examples in this technique:

1. We added the following text at the end of Example 6:

Note: Reordering content with the Order panel is most appropriate for simple
text content within a PDF since modifications made with the order panel can
affect not only the reading order but the underlying structure of content
contained within the PDF.  This may impact the z-order for content on a
page, including making some content become hidden behind other content.
Authors should save their work before using the order panel and verify that
the changes do not have adverse effects on the document.

2. We added the following 2 items to the Resources section:

- Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro Help:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/acrobat/pro/using/WS58a04a822e3e50102bd615109794195ff-7ce6.w.html

- Making PDF documents accessible with Adobe Acrobat Pro:
http://www.pdf-accessible.com/IMG/pdf/making-PDF-accessible-Acrobat.pdf

3. We added Example 7, to demonstrate using the Tags panel to correct the
reading order:

Example 7: Repairing the reading order using the Tags panel in Adobe Acrobat
9 Pro

This example is shown with Adobe Acrobat Pro. There are other software
tools that perform similar functions. See the list of other software tools
in PDF Authoring Tools that Provide Accessibility Support.

To correct the reading order in Example 5, use the Tags panel:

   1. Either:
      o Drag-and-drop the <H1> tag to precede the required-field text
(tagged <H2>), or
      o Cut-and-paste the <H2> tag to follow the <H1> tag.

In the following image, the reading order is correct for the text and
header. That is, the content elements <H1> and <H2> have been switched into
the correct reading order.