Re: Failure F13 relates to SC1.1.1 and not SC 1.4.1

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Sailesh Panchang
<sailesh.panchang@deque.com> wrote:
> To Working Group,
>
> Refer to
> F13: Failure of Success Criterion 1.4.1 due to having a text alternative
> that does not include information that is conveyed by color differences in
> the image
>
> Well this relates to the inadequacy of the text alternative and should be
> flagged as a SC 1.1.1 failure. Not SC 1.4.1.
> Re-writing the text alternative will fix the issue.
> In this context, refer to example#2 for SC 1.4.1. This is an image with
> appropriate alt text and the example explains that it complies with SC 1.1.1
> too.
> Any image with inadequate  / incorrect text descriptor is a SC 1.1.1
> failure. Color in an image can be just one element  that conveys info.
> So I argue that  such images should not be flagged as SC 1.4.1 failures.
>
> Maybe this failure can be replaced with one that says: Using color as the
> only method to convey state (active or selected ) of a tab.
>
> Thanks for your consideration,
>
> Sailesh Panchang
> Accessibility Services Manager (Web and Software)
> Deque Systems Inc. (www.deque.com)
> 11130 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite #140,
> Reston VA 20191
> Phone: 703-225-0380 (ext 105)
> E-mail: sailesh.panchang@deque.com

You are correct that F13 also describes a failure of 1.1.1 and we have
updated the technique such that it is associated with both 1.1.1 and
1.4.1. Because the use of color to convey information can be easily
overlooked by authors when creating text alternatives, we feel it is
important to include it as a failure for both Success Criteria.