contrast ratio SC level

From: WCAG 2.0 Comment Form <nobody@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 03:43:39 +0000 (GMT)
To: public-comments-wcag20@w3.org

Name: Roger Hudson
Email: rhudson@usability.com.au
Affiliation:
Document: W2
Item Number: Success Criterion 1.4.3
Part of Item:
Comment Type: technical
Summary of Issue: contrast ratio SC level
1.4.3 Contrast (Minimum): Text (and images of text) have a contrast ratio of at least 5:1, except if the text is pure decoration. Larger-scale text or images of text can have a contrast ratio of 3:1. (Level AA)

Comment: My comments relating to this issue last year suggested the Level should be increased to A. I was advised in general terms by the working group that the issue was discussed but no specific response to my comment was provided.

I believe this is a significant accessibility issue since in my work I have observed many people (including sizable proportion of the older population)experience difficulties in differentiating between foreground and background colours used on websites.

Proposed Change:
1.4.3 should be at Level A