Re: Your comments on WCAG 2.0 Last Call Draft of April 2006

Dear Loretta Guarino Reid,

At 01:32 18/05/2007, Loretta Guarino Reid wrote:
>Dear Christophe Strobbe ,
>
>Thank you for your comments on the 2006 Last Call Working Draft of the
>Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 (WCAG 2.0
>http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-WCAG20-20060427/). We appreciate the
>interest that you have taken in these guidelines.
>(...
>This message contains the comments you submitted and the resolutions
>to your comments. Each comment includes a link to the archived copy of
>your original comment on
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/, and may
>also include links to the relevant changes in the updated WCAG 2.0
>Public Working Draft at http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-WCAG20-20070517/.
>(...)

>Comment 1:
>
>Source: http://www.w3.org/mid/20060622133646.2D403DAF01@w3c4-bis.w3.org
>(Issue ID: LC-879)
>
>Part of Item:
>Comment Type: question
>Comment (including rationale for proposed change):
>
>Please define or point to criteria for \"high inter-rater
>reliability\". This is important for developing evaluation procedures
>based on WCAG 2.0 (especially evaluation procedures that can be
>repeated with the same results for the same content, although, after
>reading http://www.socialresearchmethods.net/kb/reltypes.htm and
>http://www2.chass.ncsu.edu/garson/pa765/reliab.htm, inter-rater
>reliability is not the same thing as test-retest reliability).
>
>There was an action item for research on inter-rater reliability
>(http://www.w3.org/2005/04/27-wai-wcag-minutes.html#item02) but I
>don\'t know what came out of it.
>
>Proposed Change:
>
>----------------------------
>Response from Working Group:
>----------------------------
>
>Inter-rater reliability is the extent to which multiple evaluators of
>a task or performance give identical ratings. This is often measured
>by Cohen's kappa, where 0 indicates agreement due to chance alone and
>1 indicating perfect agreement.  See
>http://www.measurementexperts.org/instrument/term_pocket_terms.asp
>
>Test-retest refers to the ability of the same person to come up with
>the same results each time they rate something.
>
>Inter-rater reliability is a tougher standard than test-retest.
>
>We no longer use this term in WCAG 2.0. Instead, we have revised this
>section to say "The same results should be obtained with a high level
>of confidence when people who understand how people with different
>types of disabilities use the Web test the same content."

Thank you. I am satisfied with this decision.

>Comment 2:
>
>Source: http://www.w3.org/mid/20060622134220.19D64DAF01@w3c4-bis.w3.org
>(Issue ID: LC-880)
>
>Part of Item:
>Comment Type: substantive
>Comment (including rationale for proposed change):
>
>Item 2 of optional components of a conformance claim appears to add
>little useful information to a conformance claim because it is a
>subset of the baseline information (item 5 of required components of a
>conformance claim). It seems more useful to me to state which
>technologies in the baseline are not used or relied upon.
>
>Proposed Change:
>
>Remove item 2 of optional components of a conformance claim or replace
>it with a list of technologies that are in the baseline but not relied
>upon.
>
>----------------------------
>Response from Working Group:
>----------------------------
>
>The list of technologies relied upon is useful for users who may
>prefer particular technologies. It is easier to search for a listed
>technology than to search for technologies that are in a documented
>list of accessibility-supported technologies, but are not in the
>relied upon technologies.
>
>Documented lists of accessibility-supported web technologies
>(previously referred to as baselines) may include many more
>technologies than are used on any given web site. For instance, there
>may be many different multimedia formats included in such a list. We
>wish to avoid the situation in which a web page that contains no
>multimedia would need to list all of them.

Thank you for the clarification. I am satisfied with this decision.

> [...]

>versions.   The secondary resources do not need to be rendered
>simultaneously with each other, only with the primary, to be part of
>the same Web page.
>
>Regarding your concern #3, the definition of Web page is purposefully
>written to include dynamic content that comes from the same URI.  So
>all of the content from all the variations would be part of the web
>page. If the contents of the frames can be loaded separately as well,
>then they would also be separate Web pages as well. But they would
>still be part of the frame Web page.
>
>#4  If the different mime type would cause a different PRIMARY
>resource to be loaded, then they would be different Web pages.   If
>you included that URI in your claim, all Web pages from that URI would
>have to be conform (meet the success criterion or have a mechanism to
>obtain a page with the same content that did).

Thank you. I am satisfied with this decision.

>Comment 8:
>
>Source: http://www.w3.org/mid/20060817172637.5E1A8D7830@saba.w3.mag.keio.ac.jp
>(Issue ID: LC-1471)
>
>Part of Item:
>Comment Type: editorial
>Comment (including rationale for proposed change):
>
>While translating the guidelines into Dutch
>(http://purl.org/NET/error404/xp/wcag20/WD-WCAG20-20060427/guidelines.html)
>I ran into the following problem: \"legal\" (in SC 2.5.3) can be
>translated into Dutch as:
>- \"wettig\" (compliant with the law, as opposed to \"illegal\", or
>- \"wettelijk\" (described in law).
>I picked the second meaning, but it would be clearer if the SC said:
>\"commitments recognized by the law\" or \"legal commitments\" instead
>of \"legal transactions\".
>
>Proposed Change:
>
>Reword SC 2.5.3 from \"For forms that cause legal or financial
>transactions to occur ...\" to \"For forms that cause legal
>commitments or financial transactions to occur ...\" or to \"For forms
>that cause commitments recognized by the law, that cuase financial
>transactions to occur ...\".
>
>Alternatively/additionally, clarify \"legal transaction\" (or the
>substituted term) in HtM 2.5.3, with something like:
>\"Legal transactions are transactions where the person incurs a
>legally binding obligation or benefit (a marriage license, a stock
>trade (financial and legal), a will, a loan, adoption, signing up for
>the army, a contract of any type, etcetera).\" (And thank Gregg for
>the proposed wording.)
>
>----------------------------
>Response from Working Group:
>----------------------------
>
>We have revised the success criterion to read, "For forms that cause
>legal commitments or financial transactions to occur, that modify or
>delete user-controllable data in data storage systems, or that submit
>test responses, at least one of the following is true..." We have also
>added a definition for legal committments.

Thank you. This is much clearer now. I am satisfied with this decision.

> [...]

>score as the readability score for the whole Web unit or page.
>
>----------------------------
>Response from Working Group:
>----------------------------
>
>We have added the following paragraph to the Intent section of How to
>Meet 3.1.5:
>
>When a web page contains multiple languages, a readability result
>should be calculated for each language that constitutes at least 5% of
>the content and that is used in full sentences or paragraphs (not just
>individual words or phrases). The overall readability of the page
>should be judged on the language that yields the worst readability
>results.

Thank you. I am satisfied with this decision.

>Comment 13:
>
>Source: http://www.w3.org/mid/20061206120019.2EE54BDA8@w3c4.w3.org
>(Issue ID: LC-1536)
>
>Part of Item:
>Comment Type: substantive
>Comment (including rationale for proposed change):
>
>Should the baseline also identify the human or natural languages that
>the content covered by the conformance claim relies upon?
>The rationale for this is twofold.
>1. Success criteria 3.1.1 and 3.1.2 require language markup,
>especially for the benefit of users of speech synthesis and/or
>braille, but this language markup is of little benefit if the
>languages are not supported by, for example, the user\'s speech
>synthesis software.
>2. Success criterion 3.1.5 requires supplemental content if text
>requires a reading ability more advanced than the lower secondary
>education level, but the algorithms or methods to determine the
>required reading ability are language-specific. (Similarly, the
>techniques you use to conform to WCAG depend on the technologies in
>your baseline.)
>
>Proposed Change:
>
>Consider adding the human languages that the content relies upon to
>the baseline. (This would imply a distinction between \"baseline
>technologies\", i.e. the current baseline concept, and \"baseline
>human languages\".)
>
>----------------------------
>Response from Working Group:
>----------------------------
>
>The conformance section of WCAG2 has been completely rewritten. The
>term "baseline" has been replaced by "accessibility-supported Web
>technologies". The issue of what it means to be an
>accessibility-supported Web technology is addressed in the section
>"Accessibility Support of Web Technologies" at
>http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-WCAG20-20070517/#accessibility-support .
>
>In analyzing whether a technology is accessibility supported, language
>support can and should be taken into account. This would be reflected
>in the documentation for the accessibility support including the
>language support of the various assistive technologies used in the
>analysis/report.

Thank you. I am satisfied with this decision.

Best regards,

Christophe Strobbe

--
Christophe Strobbe