Re: Your comments on WCAG 2.0 Last Call Draft of April 2006

From: William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 03:11:03 -0700
To: public-comments-WCAG20@w3.org

I am not satisfied with the resolution of my comment on 1.1.1 because it
still permits 1) a lazy author to simply use null alt-text ("") in place
of a description of a non-text element; 2) precludes the possibility of
getting past what your comment about my comment says: "The success
criterion [sic] in WCAG are intended to cover the normal mode of
operation to an end user." There is no "normal mode" - many people want
to know what's there whether the author deems them "purely decorative"
or not. Such users are more important to the Web than those who are
bothered by spoken alt-text covering such elements.

Love.