From: Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com>
Sent: 08 April 2021 13:51
To: public-colorweb@w3.org
Subject: WebCodecs and color?

I noticed the announcement today (https://www.w3.org/blog/news/archives/9003) about the publishing of a FPWD of WebCodecs (https://www.w3.org/TR/2021/WD-webcodecs-20210408/).  My initial reaction was that this seemed like the solution to one of the problems we were discussing in our last meeting – how client-side code could leverage the existing image encoders/decoders in the UA.   Is anyone here a part of that group and could bring to them the idea of adding raster image codecs to the mix as well?

In actually looking at the spec, with an eye towards color & HDR in Video encoding/decoding, everything seems to come down to the VideoFrame (https://www.w3.org/TR/2021/WD-webcodecs-20210408/#videoframe) – which is a bit of a wrapper around our good friend ImageBitmap (https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/imagebitmap-and-animations.html#imagebitmap) that we HAVE been discussing vis-à-vis the implications of our proposed HDR changes.

Seems like we should, if it’s not already happening, connect up with this group to make sure that our HDR proposals – especially in terms of proposed API changes – don’t break their work…and also that perhaps we could collaborate on aspects such as the initial comment above.

Leonard