Design pattern question - typography and icon fonts

From: James A. <A.James@soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 12:25:33 +0000
To: public-cognitive-a11y-tf <public-cognitive-a11y-tf@w3.org>
Hi everyone

I am working on the design pattern "Use clean typography and punctuation". I am focussing on areas of typography that cause problems for people using text to speech or who personalise the page. One issue I would like to address is the use of icons fonts. When they started to become popular a few years ago, there were people raising issues that icons didn't appear if people swapped to different fonts and that icons were read out as Unicode by text to speech. I can't find this issue in any other patterns or gap analysis so I wanted to know if had been discussed before I was part of the group?

Best wishes

Abi