Re: Design pattern question - typography and icon fonts

From: lisa.seeman <lisa.seeman@zoho.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 15:01:03 +0200
To: "James A." <A.James@soton.ac.uk>, "Janina Sajka" <janina@rednote.net>
Cc: "public-cognitive-a11y-tf" <public-cognitive-a11y-tf@w3.org>
I do not remember coming across this issues

Janina has this been a problem for the blind?

http://il.linkedin.com/in/lisaseeman/, https://twitter.com/SeemanLisa

---- On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 14:25:33 +0200 James A. <A.James@soton.ac.uk> wrote ----

Hi everyone

I am working on the design pattern “Use clean typography and punctuation”. I am focussing on areas of typography that cause problems for people using text to speech or who personalise the page. One issue I would like to address is the use
 of icons fonts. When they started to become popular a few years ago, there were people raising issues that icons didn’t appear if people swapped to different fonts and that icons were read out as Unicode by text to speech. I can’t find this issue in any other
 patterns or gap analysis so I wanted to know if had been discussed before I was part of the group?

Best wishes

Abi