Re: proposed change of language for common words

From: Gregg C Vanderheiden <greggvan@umd.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2017 14:24:36 -0400
Cc: public-cognitive-a11y-tf <public-cognitive-a11y-tf@w3.org>
To: "lisa.seeman" <lisa.seeman@zoho.com>
I did word frequency studies in my previous life

Before we decide to adopt any core vocabularies (except at level AAA)  we should first convert all of our work into the core vocabulary we are thinking of requiring others to use.    I think you will be quite surprised.

Just to get started — here is a list of most common 3000 words.
http://www.ef.edu/english-resources/english-vocabulary/top-3000-words/ <http://www.ef.edu/english-resources/english-vocabulary/top-3000-words/>
   (by the way — we would need to rename our guidelines because   Web   and   accessibility   (though access is)   are not in the 3000 most commonly used words.  Also missing   caption ,   programmatic,   mobile,  and more.

Gregg C Vanderheiden
greggvan@umd.edu