Re: You Got Your SVG in my Canvas! Mmm, Delicious!

Hi,

Doug wrote:

> I agree with others on this list that a retained-mode Canvas API is a
> bit of a contradiction, and that SVG is better suited (designed, in
> fact) for retained-mode graphics.

Indeed.

> I suggest that rather than adding more retained-mode shape features to
> the Canvas API or shadow tree, that we simply allow the SVG and Canvas
> to be used more seamlessly together[…] I wrote up some more detailed
> notes on my blog, and I'm interested in hearing feedback[…]

While painting, the render tree needs to be immutable. There are some
unfortunate legacy cases where this doesn't hold (plugins, mainly), but
we'd be really reluctant to allow new cases in which the render tree can
change out from under us while painting. Which means that scribbling on
an SVG element with the 2d context API while painting is a non-starter.

Ted