Re: You Got Your SVG in my Canvas! Mmm, Delicious!

On 6/30/2011 3:13 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Doug Schepers<schepers@w3.org>  wrote:
>> Tab Atkins Jr. wrote (on 06/30/2011 02:07 AM):
>>> I must make
>>> the same requests as I did of other people - we need to know precisely
>>> what problems are to be solved before we can decide how to solve them.
>> I don't understand.
>>
>> I'm happy to answer your question, because I think there are many advantages
>> for general use, as well as for accessibility, but it's not clear what you
>> consider a "problem to be solved."  I've listed several benefits on my blog
>> post, but it seems like you're looking for something else.
>>
>> Can we get a bullet-point listing of the kinds of problem sets that you feel
>> are appropriate for addressing, along with concrete examples?  I've read all
>> of your posts on this topic, and I don't understand what exactly you're
>> asking for.  I'm sure the details are hidden there, but the wordiness makes
>> my eyes slide right over them.
> Sure.  Here's a few use-cases that I've been able to extract from
> emails in the threads:
>
> * Low- or no-vision users may have difficult reading text drawn into
> an image.  Solutions may involve keeping around the original text, so
> it can be accessed by assistive technologies on demand.
>
> * Low- or no-vision users may have difficulty determining the
> connections between far-flung sections of a complex image, such as a
> graph, because they cannot easily assimilate the entire image's
> information at once.  Solutions may involve annotating sections of an
> image with descriptions that can be accessed by assistive technology
> on demand.
>
> * Low-vision users using a magnifier to aid in resolving details can't
> see the entire application at once, and so don't know if something is
> happening that requires their attention in a part of the application
> that's not currently being magnified.  Solutions may involve telling
> the magnifier about active areas, so it can alert the user and
> pan/zoom appropriately.
>
> Things of this nature are problems that can be solved, and we can
> evaluate how well any given solution solves them.
>
> ~TJ

Thanks for supplying this. I missed it in my post earlier today.

Let me know what kind of solutions you think are appropriate for these
situations.
I'm quite attached to binding to the DOM, because DOM elements
have ARIA bindings (as well as data-* for intra-webapp communication).

-Charles