Re: BPWG web pages redesign

Tom Worthington wrote:
> At 02:17 AM 21/08/2008, Francois Daoust wrote:
>> ... redesigned the Mobile Web Initiative site to follow most of our
>> Mobile Web Best Practices. ...
>> http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/ ...
>
> Good to see someone practicing what they preech. Looks good and did okay
> in an automated accessibility test <http://www.tawdis.net/taw3/>.
>
> But I would prefer it if the Site Navigation was at the top of the page,
> rather than the bottom when rendered on a small screen.

Many thanks for the feedback!

The Site Navigation links were moved to the bottom on purpose, but I
agree this may create a bit of confusion. We're so much used to having
links at the top (be it top-top, top-left or top-right) than not finding
them there looks a bit weird at first. After some time, I got used to
it, and now tend to like this approach. This makes it possible to focus
on the "real" content of the page.

The compromise we implemented is to have a link at the top of the page
to the "Site Navigation" menu that is at the bottom of the page on small
screen devices.

The corresponding best practice we're trying to address with this choice is:
   [NAVBAR] Provide only minimal navigation at the top of the page.
   http://www.w3.org/TR/mobile-bp/#NAVBAR

Francois.