Re: sections 1.4.2 and 1.4.3

On May 23, 2008, at 10:49 AM, Adam wrote:

> Jo objected to the assertion that limited device processing capability
> was a good example of a limitation that will become vanishingly
> insignificant
> in the foreseeable future.

as one of the weirdos who runs things like
Apache and other services under the BSD sub-system
on his everyday mobile device
I am in the "will become insignificant in the future" camp
and think it is reasonable to recognize trends like this "out loud"

what is "high end" today
becomes "everyday" amazingly rapidly
within the mobile device domain...
witness the move over the past couple of years
bringing photographic capabilities both still and movie
"down" into what is expected of an everyday device

a comment was made elsewhere about
some of these issues we are writing about being "so 1996"
and the problem is that that really is where things stand
in some ways...
for example
right now we *do* need to talk about
graceful degradation & progressive enhancement
with both based on the capabilities of the client context
but the need to talk about that will fade
as the XHTML/CSS/ECMAScript trio
penetrates more thoroughly the mobile browser ecology
just as the need to talk to big-screen developers about these issues
has faded over time in the desktop/laptop "space"

my
this has become a long-winded way of saying
"yes, I think this is a decent example"
<grin/>

jeffs

--
“In an attempt to take Baltimore, the British attacked Fort McHenry,
  which protected the harbor. Bombs were soon bursting in air,

Jeff Sonstein

http://www.it.rit.edu/~jxs/
http://ariadne.iz.net/~jeffs/
http://ariadne.iz.net/~jeffs/jeffs.asc