Re: sections 1.4.2 and 1.4.3

I agree with everything that Jeff is saying below (well, I could argue
some points but that would spoil the effect), I think mine is a
different point.

The question is not whether devices are becoming more capable or not, or
specifically whether tomorrow's processors will be more capable than
today's. I have no doubt that tomorrow's mobile devices will be capable
of executing what today can only be executed on a beefy mains powered
desktop machine.

But that doesn't mean that processing power is no longer an issue. The
crucial question is, for any point in time that you choose, is there be
a difference between what is then considered a beefy mains powered
desktop machine, and what is then considered a high end mobile device.
Or to put it another way, at what point do we foresee that the
difference is processing power will be immaterial?

I think it is arguable, for example in respect of bandwidth available,
that the point-in-time differential between fixed and mobile is actually
increasing. I would be more hesitant in arguing that for processing
power, but the point remains.

So. Given that applications have a tendency to consume all the resources
that are thrown at them, and given that at any point in time there is a
differential in favour of the desktop in terms of the resources
available, it follows that no matter how much the available resource
grows, if there is a measurable difference between mobile and desktop
then this is a distinct and enduring feature of mobile.

Jo