Re: ACTION-660: Input to BP2, on Personalization

From: Sean Owen <srowen@google.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:26:43 -0500
To: "Sullivan, Bryan" <BS3131@att.com>
Cc: BPWG-Public <public-bpwg@w3.org>

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 5:02 PM, Sullivan, Bryan <BS3131@att.com> wrote:
>  [bryan] These three recommendations address the basic ability to
>  minimize user effort in personalizing services. They should be easily
>  testable, at least manually. The methods of implementing the
>  recommendations will be described. Those based upon standards will be
>  specifically described. Those based upon standard extensions or even
>  proprietary methods (e.g. for the first, based upon "x-" headers as
>  typically used by network proxies) will be mentioned generally (as types
>  of methods, but not with specifics). Either will suffice for compliance
>  if they result in the general recommendation being met. We welcome
>  suggestions for other recommendations in this area.

[srowen] My $0.02 on the possible mobile-specific angles here if any are:

- Yes, are there "X" headers that people really rely on in practice to
identify sessions and users? I think this is actually so. I know we do
some awful magic with MSISDN info we get as a surrogate cookie
sometimes. I *do* think we should be specific, or else we're not
adding much value here.

- The problem of not having cookies all the time to personally
identify a user (or are we kinda assuming cookie supports? oops,
there's the ADC ghost... but don't we need to have assumptions like
this to get anywhere?)

- The need to stay logged in and avoid re-entering credentials all the
time. Hmm, what can we say here?