Re: VSS collaboration (Data TF) meeting today?

From: <klotz@eurecom.fr>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 15:34:44 +0100
To: ted@w3.org
Cc: Ulf Bjorkengren <ulfbjorkengren@geotab.com>, public-automotive <public-automotive@w3.org>, "Winzell, Peter" <peter.winzell@volvocars.com>
Hi Ted and all,

> Benjamin gave his insight on the various graph database engines, that
> basically the various open source ones require considerable more custom
> programming to provide services on top of them. His and general opinion
> seem to favor Neo4j.

I had some thoughts about this and I see basically 2 directions for us:
- RDF/RDFS/OWL and W3C standards: that would require some effort in
the design and maintenance of the DB and query interface.
- Existing DBMS platforms (most likely Neo4j), which come with their
prorietarw query languages (cypher for instance) but would be deployed
more quickly.

I saw an interest in demonstrating the benefit of the VSS model
through GraphQL, and that is of course possible with both approaches:
with HypergraphQL [1] (or equivalent) on linked data or a GRAND stack
[2] including neo4j.

It mostly depends on the community using the interface. I have a
personnal preference for the open standard way (RDF/OWL...) so I can
use directly ontologies (like VSSo) without a need for adaptation
(e.g. fro URIs to local IDs) and export JSON-LD data, but I understand
that this is not mandatory for graphQL interface demonstrations.

[1] https://www.hypergraphql.org/
[2] https://grandstack.io/

Best regards,
Benjamin