Re: VSS Presentation

Urata-san,

Thank you very much. This is looking really good. There are two more things
I would like you to consider and I apologize for not bringing them up
earlier:

1. Using the vss2json.py tool
<https://github.com/GENIVI/vehicle_signal_specification/blob/develop/tools/vspec2json.py>
as
a template

We already have three conversion tools that directly convert VSS into
different output formats in the GENIVI Github repository
<https://github.com/GENIVI/vehicle_signal_specification>. I would like to
add your tool to the repo but it would be very beneficial if it followed
the same template as the other tools. These tools directly read the VSS
files. It's easy since the core of it is a converter that reads VSS YAML
hierarchy into a JSON structure. All you have to do is

import vspec

tree = vspec.load(<vspec_file>, <include_dirs>)

tree then contains the JSON tree structure alleviating you from reading the
JSON file and omitting the vspec2json step. The vspec2json.py converter
also contains the code to create the signal ID database.

2. Splitting up the signal names into individual nodes

Your tool is currently splitting up the signal names and places the
individual nodes each into their own column in the csv file. I have been
thinking about it. The biggest problem is that the tree is not limited in
depth. There  can be any depth and you don't know how many columns are
needed. The second problem is that you cannot easily look up a signal by
its name because you have to search across columns. Maybe it's better to
just put the signal name in its entirety into a single column? The csv file
structure would then be:

[Signal] ,[ID], [Type], [Unit], [Min], [Max], [Description]

Others, please weigh in here too.

Thanks,
Rudi