Von: Eric Eggert <mail@yatil.net>
Gesendet: Freitag, 22. April 2022 18:44
An: zimmermann@accesstechnologiesgroup.com
Cc: public-auth-trans-de@w3.org
Betreff: Re: German Translation WCAG 2.1 - Disapproval

Hi Gottfried,

Issue 2.1.2 No keyboard trap #64 < <https://github.com/outline-rocks/wcag/discussions/64> https://github.com/outline-rocks/wcag/discussions/64> :

* It is not true that the English text is as unclear as the German translation. The English term “unmodified arrow or tab keys“ can be generally understood on the background of the common term „modifier keys” (e.g. see Wikipedia entry on “Modifier key” < <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modifier_key> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modifier_key> ). But the German word “nicht modifizierte Taste” does not have such a common understanding and it is completely unclear what it means to a lay person that is not deep into WCAG.

I looked into this again today (after being under the weather for a few weeks), and I think I came up with an agreeable solution you can find in the  <https://outline-rocks.github.io/wcag/guidelines/#keine-tastaturfalle> working draft.

Apparently the German translation for “Modifier Key” is “Hilfstaste” according to Wikipedia.  <https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tastenkombination#Hilfstasten_f%C3%BCr_Tastenkombinationen> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tastenkombination#Hilfstasten_für_Tastenkombinationen

With that, I changed the sentence in the following way:

Previous version:

Wenn der Tastaturfokus durch eine <a>Tastaturschnittstelle</a>
auf einen Bestandteil der Seite bewegt werden kann, dann kann
der Fokus von diesem Bestandteil weg bewegt werden, indem man
nur die Tastaturschnittstelle benutzt; wenn man dazu mehr als nicht
modifizierte Pfeil- oder Tabulatortasten oder andere übliche
Ausstiegsmethoden benutzen muss, dann wird der Benutzer über
die Methode zum Bewegen des Fokus informiert.

Now:

Wenn der Tastaturfokus durch eine <a>Tastaturschnittstelle</a>
auf einen Bestandteil der Seite bewegt werden kann, dann kann
der Fokus von diesem Bestandteil weg bewegt werden, indem man
nur die Tastaturschnittstelle benutzt; wenn man dazu mehr als nicht
durch Hilfstasten (wie z.B. Umschalt-, Steuerungs- oder Befehlstaste)
modifizierte Pfeil- oder Tabulatortasten oder andere übliche
Ausstiegsmethoden benutzen muss, dann wird der Benutzer über
die Methode zum Bewegen des Fokus informiert.

Basically, I added “durch Hilfstasten (wie z.B. Umschalt-, Steuerungs- oder Befehlstaste)” and I think this is a modification that is consistent with the original 2.0 translation.

Regarding Issue [Translation of "assistive technology" #63]( <https://github.com/outline-rocks/wcag/discussions/63> https://github.com/outline-rocks/wcag/discussions/63):

* You have not provided convincing rationale for using the German word “Technik” rather than “Technologien”.

I tried to find the original discussion around this and I have no rationale personally for it. As was pointed out in the discussion above, “Technik” and “Technologie” can be used as synonyms.

What I have done to maybe help with this issue without having to rewrite a lot of the existing 2.0 documentation is adding a translators note to the working draft. (Happy for suggestions for better wording, if dealing with this issue in a note like this is agreeable at all.)

„Assistierenden Techniken“ in WCAG 2 werden mittlerweile meist als „Assistive Technologien“ bezeichnet.

I hope that helps with addressing the issues.

👋 Eric