CfC: DynamicsCompressor and emphasizing high frequencies

Hi all.

On 16 Jan 2014, at 20:01, Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com> wrote:

> I also raised the dynamics compressor issue I'd introduced in email (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-audio/2014JanMar/0010.html).  I'd like to specifically propose that we remove the pre-emphasis and post-emphasis in the dynamics compressor; either way, we need to document how dynamicscompressor works, but removing pre- and post-emphasis rather than just documenting it makes it easier to implement multi-band compression based on the dynamicscompressor.
>
> Jer expressed that he'd be okay with this; I'd like to hear feedback from the Mozilla contingent, as they implemented the same pre/post emphasis Webkit/Blink did.

Looking at http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-audio/2014JanMar/thread.html#msg10 there does not seem to be any strong opinion. Chris, would you like to create an issue for this, linking to the discussion thread(s).

Although the proposed resolution would involve no change to the spec (but change to implementations) I’d like to keep track of the decision and how we got to it - might be worth creating a test for it too, since this is something we know has been implemented in ways non-compliant with the spec.

In effect, this is a call for consensus on the proposal to remove emphasis from implementations rather than document it in the spec. Silence will mean consent and I aim to record consensus at our next teleconference, in a week.

Thanks,
Olivier

http://www.bbc.co.uk
If you have received it in