Re: Vendor implementation status: Web MIDI API

Your point is quite apt, Robert - although I'd point out that the bulk of
the effort expended by the group on MIDI has been my own, Jussi's, and a
set of vendors (not implementers) who are quite passionate about getting
MIDI implemented.  I can't speak for Jussi; but my own effort has been
motivated by the scenarios I see enabled by the combination of Web Audio
and MIDI, and not intended to derail Web Audio work.  (I originally asked
for MIDI to be added to the charter of a different WG, for example.)

I have to agree that getting Web Audio fully developed is a higher priority
for most of the group, and I would agree that Web Audio implementation
should be higher priority than MIDI for Firefox.  At the same time, I'd
point out that a main reason for that is that MIDI support unlocks a lot of
possibilities in Web Audio; if you don't have Web Audio, having MIDI
support is going to be less attractive, as it limits a lot of scenarios.
 With both, however, you can start taking on serious music production
applications.

As I think Web MIDI is (as it is intended to be) a relatively thin layer on
top of CoreMIDI, Windows MIDI, or even USB-MIDI, a better question is
whether you see it as an interesting scenario once Web Audio is enabled.