Re: Use of both numbered constants and strings

>From the perspective of Gecko as an implementer, I was really concerned
about these obsolete names in the spec, as have already started to hear
complaints about not supporting them in Firefox.  Note that these are all
style changes, and my position regarding backwards incompatible changes
regarding things that actually mean a change in the functionality supported
would be different.  But, given the fact that WebKit which was the only
other engine that was supporting Web Audio is unwilling to make backwards
incomoatble changes with regards to these names (and I think Blinks adopts
the same position), I don't believe that we are ever going to win this
fight with evangelizing to websites using the new names because the
majority of the Web Audio content is only ever tested against WebKit/Blink,
and most web developers learning about Web Audio will be reading outdated
material that was written around the time of the initial Web Audio launch,
which are all using the old names.  Therefore, we agreed that the best way
forward in order to get interoperable implementations is to require support
for the obsolete names under the title of alternate names.

Cheers,

--
Ehsan
<http://ehsanakhgari.org/>