Re: Use of both numbered constants and strings

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 05:43:51 +0200, Ehsan Akhgari
<ehsan.akhgari@gmail.com> wrote:

>> From the perspective of Gecko as an implementer, I was really concerned
> about these obsolete names in the spec, as have already started to hear
> complaints about not supporting them in Firefox.  Note that these are all
> style changes, and my position regarding backwards incompatible changes
> regarding things that actually mean a change in the functionality
> supported
> would be different.  But, given the fact that WebKit which was the only
> other engine that was supporting Web Audio is unwilling to make backwards
> incomoatble changes with regards to these names (and I think Blinks
> adopts
> the same position), I don't believe that we are ever going to win this
> fight with evangelizing to websites using the new names because the
> majority of the Web Audio content is only ever tested against
> WebKit/Blink,
> and most web developers learning about Web Audio will be reading outdated
> material that was written around the time of the initial Web Audio
> launch,
> which are all using the old names.  Therefore, we agreed that the best
> way
> forward in order to get interoperable implementations is to require
> support
> for the obsolete names under the title of alternate names.

So if implementors are not going to remove the old names, that leaves two

1) Support both old and new names.
2) Support only the old names.

Has (2) been seriously considered? I think it is better to have one set of
ugly names than one set of ugly names plus another set of less ugly names.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software