RE: ARIA Authoring practices and grid based date picker (link to demos and GitHub repository)

Jon, we can chat a bit after the regular agenda is complete. I can stay after the meeting for this.

BTW, Iā€™d just remove the aria-label from the td. The button is already labeled ā€œ13ā€ by its content. Presumably the grid has a label of the month and the col has a header with the day name. So, they are creating excess verbosity and putting a good experience out of reach by adding the unnecessary labeling.

Matt

From: Gunderson, Jon R [mailto:jongund@illinois.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 5:22 PM
To: Matt King <notifications@github.com>; James Nurthen <james.nurthen@oracle.com>
Cc: 'ARIA Working Group' <public-aria@w3.org>
Subject: Re: ARIA Authoring practices and grid based date picker (link to demos and GitHub repository)

I forgot to include a link to the current demos of the development version of JQUERY-UI date picker:

https://rawgit.com/jquery/jquery-ui/datepicker/demos/datepicker/index.html

Here is the github repository:

https://github.com/jquery/jquery-ui/tree/datepicker

Jon

From: Jon Gunderson <jongund@illinois.edu <mailto:jongund@illinois.edu> >
Date: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 7:19 PM
To: Matt King <notifications@github.com <mailto:notifications@github.com> >, James Nurthen <james.nurthen@oracle.com <mailto:james.nurthen@oracle.com> >
Cc: 'ARIA Working Group' <public-aria@w3.org <mailto:public-aria@w3.org> >
Subject: ARIA Authoring practices and grid based date picker

Matt and James,

Could we send a few minutes on accessible datepicker patterns.

I am working with the JQuery-UI team working on the next generation datepicker and I have some questions to ask the group.

For example each date cell is:

  <button class="ui-state-default" tabindex="-1" data-ui-calendar-timestamp="1486965600000">13</button>

I think they are putting focus on the button and not the grid cell, so it seems the labeling is on the wrong element.

Hope we can talk about this for a few minutes.

Jon

Jon Gunderson, Ph.D.

Coordinator

Accessible IT Group

Disability Resources and Education Services

College of Applied Health Sciences

E-mail: jongund@illinois.edu <mailto:jongund@illinois.edu>

WWW: http://disability.illinois.edu/academic-support/aitg