Re: aria-valuestep or equivalent needed to make range widgets operable by AT

Thanks Rich. We'll wait for ARIA.NEXT

To address some of the other questions in this thread:

>>> I checked with Freedom Scientific today and they do not, for any browser or native Windows application announce step information.

Step is necessary for the UA to know whether a value is valid before setting the value. It's not necessary to announce anything to screen reader.

Increment/Decrement bypass the need for "step" because they offload the value validation logic to the slider view controller in the application or framework.

No. This is unlikely to ever be exposed to user, it is metadata that is intended to allow custom controls to be "operable" by UA or perhaps AT in the same way that @step is used for native sliders.

James N wrote:

>> Windows phones (Win10/Edge) seem to deal fine with ARIA sliders when running with Narrator.
>> Can we look to see what they are doing in order to enable this without aria-valuestep?

Bogdan and Cynthia, do you know? I don't have a Windows machine.

My assumption is that it's doing one of the following.
- Intercepting the gesture and simulating arrow keypress events.
- Setting the attribute value directly. (This would not achieve the desired outcome on most ARIA sliders.)

I'd be concerned to standardize either approach.

James N, if you find Narrator or Edge is doing something else to make ARIA sliders "work" please share.