RE: Regarding children presentational in prep: Agenda: June 23, 2016 WAI-ARIA Working Group

No problem :)

The tricky bit is which element has focus and how this should be handled, which is where it's unclear.

I agree that the aria-valueX attributes should go on the role=spinbutton element, but the spinbutton is considered to be a focusable widget role, so it may include tabindex=0 for this purpose to accept arrow key spinning. This matches the mapping on the HTML5 range input.

So if this same element also has embedded buttons, how would an AT interact with it? E.G Currently Forms Mode is entered when interacting with this field like a regular form field, etc.

Then, say tabindex was omitted and an input was embedded instead, then an AT would need to treat it like a named region instead, which is a totally different type of interaction.

It's confusing and causing ambiguities about how this is supposed to work in ATs.

Hopefully this makes sense? :)

Bryan Garaventa
Accessibility Fellow
SSB BART Group, Inc.