From: Marco Zehe <mzehe@mozilla.com>
To: Birkir Gunnarsson <birkir.gunnarsson@deque.com>
Cc: Shane McCarron <shane@spec-ops.io>, Michael Cooper
            <cooper@w3.org>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <richschwer@gmail.com>,
            Fred Esch/Arlington/IBM@IBMUS, ARIA <public-aria@w3.org>
Date: 06/23/2016 10:52 AM
Subject: Re: Nested links (not related to children presentational issue
            in ARIA 1.1)

I did a quick test with the example given, and none of the 3 browsers I
tested (Firefox, Chrome, IE 11) actually nest the links. They simply
consider the two links separate entities at the same level, considering the
second opening a tag the closure of the previous, and ignoring the final
closing one. There are two accessible objects, and they are not nested.

So in my opinion, there is no indication that browsers, at least on
Windows, support nested links, they just make one believe so by accounting
for such obvious author error. So I don't see why we should allow or even
vote for nested links. As was put forward by Shane, nestee links even
violate the HTML 5.1 specification. So nothing to duplicate, other than the
parser accounting for the same nesting error and separating them out into
separate links at the same level.

Marco

  Agreed, this constitutes a WCAG 4.1.1 violation for HTML:

  “elements are nested according to their specifications”

  The HTML Nu Validator https://validator.w3.org/nu/

  returns 2 errors for a nested link construct.

  </a>

  “Error: Start tag a seen but an element of the same type was already
  open.”

  And

  Error: Stray end tag a.